Dining Etiquette & Inspired Tablescapes
Do you want to brush up on your dining etiquette and learn a few tidbits about proper dining? Today, we want to share how to properly set a table that you can recreate for your own event. We also want to showcase some of our favorite tablescapes and how to get creative with your place settings!
Below is our cheat sheet to setting the perfect table! The setting varies each time depending on food and beverage choices and level of formality. Keep these tips in mind when designing the table.
- To start off, if you are using a charger plate, place that 1 inch away from the edge of the table and do the same for the flatware. In some of the tablescapes below you’ll notice that not all the flatware is aligned. Sometimes this standard is altered to fit a person’s stylistic choice.
- Place the folded napkin on the charger plate with the seam to the right and the opening at the top. Rotate 90° to the left if you would like to add a menu.
- Align the beverage glasses (water, wine, and sparkling) to form a triangle.
- Make sure all the knives (or knife) are facing inward to avoid accidentally coming in contact with the blade.
Here are some additional tips that are good to keep in mind for casual or formal dining.
- Place your napkin in your lap when the food is served.
- Wait for everyone at your table to be served before you begin to eat.
- Avoid placing phones/wallets/purses on the table or using your phone too much!
These are some of our favorite tablescapes from past weddings, events, and styled shoots. We love seeing the beauty, creativity, colors, and seasonal inspiration.
Annmarie Swift Photography (featured images and two above)